The Academy Physician's Advisory Group
Dear Families of The Academy,
As ever, thanks to all of you for your prayers and support. By the grace of God and with unwavering assistance from our talented faculty and staff, we finished the academic year strong with GriffinsLive! and have much to be thankful for. Over the summer, we hope you have the chance to spend time in leisure with your family and friends, and that this rest allows your spirit to be renewed.
In considering next steps for re-opening The Academy physically, the safety of you and your family is our number one concern. While we are ever mindful of the continuing health concerns and the need to keep in mind social distancing protocols, we also long to spend time in our precious community again. After much prayer and consultation with The Academy Physicians Advisory Group, we are happy to provide details about summer activities at The Academy.
- Uniform Resale
Because our Annual Uniform Resale event takes place in June, at the beginning of the summer, we have decided to cancel this event. We know many of you utilize this event to purchase your uniforms at a reduced price. Please know that our Online Resale Facebook Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/440290722736308/) is still available! We recommend you utilize this resource in place of an in-person event.
- Back to School Activities
While we fully intend to host our traditional back to school events - in fact, these have already been scheduled! - we recognize events such as Parent Conference or House Sorting may need to be held in smaller groups or in different formats this August. While we anticipate the dates will stay the same, please stay tuned for additional details as we approach the fall.
- Summer Athletic Camps
In consultation with our Academy Physician Advisory Group, we are moving forward with plans and registration for summer athletic camps! Currently, pending a Phase 3 opening, all Athletic Camps at The Academy will take place this summer. It is important to note that these camps are entirely optional, and include the following:
June 1-4: Rhetoric Boys Basketball Camp
June 8-12: D&R Volleyball Camp
June 15-18: Dialectic Basketball Camp (7th & 8th Grade Boys, 7th-12th Girls)
June 22-24: Grammar Basketball Camp (2nd-6th)
Other summer athletic dates you may need to be aware of include:
June TBD: Strength and Conditioning (watch Team App for an official start date)
July 13: Fall Preseason practices begin for Volleyball/Cross Country
(pending a Phase 3 opening)
August 15: First Cross Country Meet (dependent on state recommendations)
August 18: First Volleyball Match (dependent on state recommendations)
- Summer Athletics Safety Precautions
To ensure the safety of our students, The Academy staff and students will be required to take a number of baseline precautions, and these precautions will be amended or updated throughout the summer as we focus on maintaining an agile response to current conditions. In consultation with The Academy Physician Advisory Group, we have put together procedures for these summer camps in accordance with summer camp guidance from the CDC and Training Considerations from the US Olympic & Paralympic Committee, and we will give weekly or bimonthly updates to these procedures as needed. Here is what to expect:
- Participants are required to have shown no signs or symptoms of Covid-19 in the past 14 days.
- As part of the daily sign-in process, each student will undergo a routine contact-less temperature check and verbally give a health check-in.
- All doorknobs, railings, bathroom faucets, and related common-touch surfaces will be disinfected prior to each day’s camp.
- Students will make use of hand sanitizer stations before and after clinics, as well as during breaks.
- Gloves will be worn by concessions workers, and masks during food preparation.
- Balls and equipment will be sanitized between sessions and at the beginning/end of each day.
- During camp, coaching staff will enforce appropriate spacing in team and skill lines.
- Water fountains will be closed and all students will use personal water bottles or bottled water purchased from the concessions stand.
- Spectators are limited to 1 parent per family, and they are required to sit in the stands/fan area with 6-foot spacing.
OSSAA Camps will likely provide their own lists of precautions and participation requirements that follow the Health Criteria from the US Olympic Committee regarding group training. If you are part of the Rhetoric Boys Basketball Team, expect to hear additional details about these camps from Coach Mac on or around June 1.
We look forward to keeping you posted with additional updates as we continue through the summer!
Nate and Stephen