- Identify a space in your home where your child can participate in remote classroom activities and complete schoolwork.
- Set up a student login (for each student) to FACTS LMS (FACTS Learning Management System) and ensure your student(s) can login. You can find instructions on how to set up a student login here. If you have any trouble, contact our Tech Lead, Eric Williams, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Check FACTS lesson plans and email every morning and organize your home day accordingly. Lesson plans will be updated by 5am. If you have questions about how to access lesson plans with your student, please watch this short video. Parents should review daily lesson plans to ensure students stay on schedule and are prepared ahead of time for any live classes, but Dialectic and Rhetoric students should be able to manage their own assignments. Parents can assist students by reviewing homework and written assignments and helping students stay organized, on task, and on pace.
- Facilitate student participation in the video sessions. Video sessions will provide specific, teacher-led instruction. Sessions may be live (synchronous) or recorded (asynchronous). All live sessions will be recorded. Teachers will provide you with online links and instructions on how to access video lessons.
- Parents will ask students to dress appropriately for live videos, avoiding a sloppy appearance. To that end, while students are not required to wear their uniform, they should be wearing clothing and not pajamas.
- If participating in live sessions, parents will ensure your student comes to class on time. If unable to participate in live sessions, please ensure your student watches the recorded session in a timely manner.
- Parents will encourage students to actively participate in class discussions with their videos turned on, maintaining respectful behavior of the teacher and other students.
- If you or your child becomes ill, notify your teacher(s). We will provide extreme grace in these situations regarding make up work. Teachers will provide individual instructions on how to modify class lesson plans for your ill student. If you are ill, encourage your children to manage as much as they can without direct oversight.
Live Video Session Expectations
- At 9:00am, The Academy will livestream Matins district-wide.
- Dialectic and Rhetoric students will attend three live class sessions each school day, Monday through Friday.
- Live sessions will last between 20-50 minutes depending on the teacher and the content for the day.
- Live class sessions will be held in one of three time blocks. See the detailed schedules here.
- D&R Session One: 12:30 - 1:20 pm
- D&R Session Two: 1:30 - 2:20 pm
- D&R Session Three: 2:30 - 3:20pm
- The sessions your student is expected to attend each day will be noted in the lesson plans for the day.
- If your student cannot make it to a live session, they will be recorded and available later in the day.
- If you have more than one student who needs to attend a live session at the same time, here are a couple of options for how proceed:
- Have your students take turns participating in the live session/watching the recording.
- Allow one student to participate on your home computer and the other to participate via the Zoom app on your phone.
- Contact your principal to discuss receiving a loaner laptop from the school.
- As much as possible, we’ve asked teachers to maintain their normal schedule. This means your student likely won’t have an assignment for every subject every day.
- To help you plan your day, we anticipate Dialectic and Rhetoric students should be able to complete all synchronous and asynchronous learning as well as homework assignments during the regular school day, i.e. less than 7 hours. If you find your assignments taking significantly longer than the expected time, please reach out to your student's teachers and/or campus principal.
- Note: In addition to Zoom and LMS, Rhetoric students will need access to Google Docs for turning in homework.
- Classroom teachers will maintain close contact with families through (optional) scheduled group calls each week.
- Teachers will provide office hours when they will be accessible for unscheduled phone calls related to questions about online portals/apps and lesson plan instructions.
- Teachers will post detailed and clearly structured daily lesson plans on FACTS.
- Teachers will provide recorded and/or live online video sessions for daily/weekly lesson instruction. If you have technical concerns with your ability to access video lessons, contact your teacher for assistance.
- Teachers will modify assessment practices during The Academy Online program, and work carefully and creatively to create assessments that set students up for success. Teachers will communicate proactively to students what is expected for each assessment, how students will be assessed, and where students are to submit their work.
- Teachers will instruct dialectic students to complete assigned tests or quizzes in the LMS program on FACTS. Upcoming tests will be depicted on daily lesson plans with at least a week's notice.
- D&R teachers will be responsible for grading all student work and will continue to record all grades in FACTS weekly. There will be no changes to our grading policy for now. However, we will revisit our policy as this situation evolves. Let's agree, though, that no student will be penalized for something that is not in their control.