From your midtown campus principal, Rhonda Jones
Parents, this was a full week at the Rhetoric Campus. Sophomores and Juniors took the ACT & SAT tests on Tuesday, plans were made (and shared below) for our Spring Formal Spirit Week, 2021-22 House Leaders were announced, and our Ethics Bowl teams had an amazing competition weekend! Under the excellent leadership of Mrs. Stall, and the emotional support of Miss Risch, six of our students checked in to an area hotel and competed in the National Ethics Bowl virtual tournament. I want to personally thank Mr. & Mrs. Stanczyk for accompanying Mrs. Stall and Miss Risch in supervising the weekend. After the first round of competition, due to high scores, our students were ranked second in the nation. In rounds 2 and 3, our students competed against the two teams who ultimately placed 1st & 2nd in the overall competition. The Academy teams held their own, lost one round by only 1 point, and the other round by just a few points (single digits). I am incredibly proud of these students for competing so well at the National level, in a competitive culture driven by Northeast prep school tradition. Our Academy teams wholly represented our school by displaying exactly why our school motto is Truth, Goodness, and Beauty!
D.A.N.C.E. Spirit Week
Monday – Pajama Day (we will forego chapel formal dress)
Tuesday – Tacky Tourist Tuesday – Hawaiian shirts & fanny packs welcome!
Wednesday – Decades – dress up in your favorite time period
Thursday – Disney – come as your favorite Disney character
Friday – Zoo Day – Dress up as your favorite animal or zoo keeper
Dress-Up Guidelines for Spirit Week
1. All costumes must meet school and non-uniform dress guidelines:
a. shorts/skirts/dresses = mid-thigh for men & women
b. All shirts/dresses/tops = sleeves please
c. Leggings – If worn, wear with a skirt/shirt which is mid-thigh or longer (men & women)
d. messaging/words/graphics = abstain from profane messaging
2. Holes/Rips in pants – typically we ask students to avoid wearing jeans with holes/rips. For the sake of a costume, holes & rips are fine if they are located mid-thigh or below on the pant.
A Few Logistics
1. Summer Prefect Retreat – 2021-22 House Leaders, mark your calendars for our Leadership Retreat on June 28th- 30th. Mrs. Debbie Rankin will be sending you more information closer to the date.
2. April 28th Griffin Games – Students will need to bring a sack lunch, which they will take with them to All Souls Episcopal Church and eat on the grounds prior to the afternoon events. There will be no access to microwaves, etc. School dismissal will be at 11am. Parents will transport students (or arrange personal car pool options) to All Souls Episcopal Church for Griffin Games. Games start at 11:30am. Culture & Events sent out a detailed FAQ sheet about this event. Please check your email and access this information.
3. April 30th – Half school day. Students dismiss at 11:50am. Teachers will be spending the afternoon in professional In-Service. Before dismissal Amy Allen will roll out the course offerings and descriptions for J-Term 2022. Students will also be given the timeline for enrollment in their chosen J-Term courses.
4. Arsenic & Old Lace – You will soon receive information regarding how you can buy tickets and attend the May 7th & 8th production presentation of Arsenic and Old Lace.
Upcoming Calendar Events